Adopted March 1996
GASTON COUNTY REPUBLICAN WOMEN
A member of the North Carolina Federation of Republican Women
Adopted May 15, 2013
The name of this organization shall be the Gaston County Republican Women. Hereafter in this document shall be referred to as the GCRW.
The Objectives of the Gaston County Republican Women shall be:
• to promote an informed public through political education and activity;
• to increase the effectiveness of women in the cause of good government through active political participation;
• to cooperate with the National and North Carolina Federations of Republican Women;
• to foster loyalty to the Republican Party and to promote its principles and candidates in all elections, including non-partisan elections;
• to support the objectives and policies of the national, state and local Republican Party organizations and to work for the election of Republican nominees.
Section 1. Eligibility
A. Membership in the GCRW shall be open to any woman who is a registered Republican, a resident of North Carolina and who accepts and advocates the Objectives and Rules of the Organization.
B. Associate Members
1. The Republican women who have primary membership in a federated local club are eligible for associate membership in local clubs upon payment of the required annual dues. Associate members cannot hold office, vote or be counted for the purpose of determining the number of delegates to national or state federation meetings or conventions.
2. Republican men are eligible for associate membership upon payment of the required annual dues to the local club. They cannot hold office, have a voice or be counted for the purpose of determining the number of delegates to national or state federation meetings or conventions. Republican men who are associate members in local clubs do not become members of the state federation of the NFRW.
Section 2. Dues
A. Annual dues shall be determined by the club membership and include membership in the North Carolina Federation of Republican Women and the National Federation of Republican Women (hereafter called the NCFRW and NFRW, respectively) and shall be due and payable by January 1 of each year.
B. Dues paid by any member joining this Organization for the first time after September 1 shall include membership through the following calendar year.
Section 3. Removal from membership
A. Any member may be removed from membership for non-payment of dues by April 1 of the current year, by resignation, or by change of registration to an opposition party.
B. Any misuse of a unit membership list by a member for personal gain shall constitute grounds for removal from membership. Any disciplinary action, removal or expulsion due to an alleged offense, requires a hearing from the GCRW Executive Committee.
C. A member may be reinstated upon receipt of dues, or by a two-thirds vote of the GCRW Executive Board, providing the reasons for removal have been corrected.
Section 4. National and State Membership
A. This Organization shall maintain membership in the North Carolina Federation of Republican Women according to their bylaws.
Section 5. Fiscal Year
A. The fiscal year of the Organization shall be from January 1 through December 31.
Section 1. Officers
A. The officers of this Organization shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. Each officer shall be an active member in good standing of this Organization and shall not hold office or chair a committee in another local Republican Women’s Club.
Section 2. Nominations and Elections
1. A nominating committee of three members shall be elected by the general membership at the regular September meeting.
2. The Nominating Committee shall submit a slate with one nominee for each office in a report to the membership at the October meeting. The consent of the nominee to serve if elected must be secured in advance of presenting the report.
3. Nominations from the floor may be made following the report of the Nominating Committee provided that the consent of the nominee has been secured in advance.
4. Only members who maintain an active membership in good standing with the Organization shall be nominated for elective office. Members who hold office or committee chairmanships in other Republican Women’s Clubs are not eligible for nomination.
1. Elections shall be held at the regular November Meeting.
2. Elections shall be by ballot in all cases where there is more than one nominee for that office, and the President shall appoint Tellers of not less than three to count the ballets. In cases of only one nominee, election may be by voice vote. A majority vote of the members present and voting shall constitute an election.
3. Ballot results shall be recorded by the Secretary in the Minutes. Ballots shall be retained for thirty days and thereafter destroyed.
C. Terms of Office
1. The officers shall serve for a term of one year or until their successors are duly elected and qualified. Officers will take office on the first day of January after installation in December.
2. No member shall hold more than one office at any one time; and no officer shall be eligible to serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office, unless she shall have filled the unexpired term of her predecessor.
Section 3. Duties of Officers
A. The duties of the President shall be:
1. to actively represent the Club as a member of the NCFRW Board of Directors and keep her club members informed by attending NCFRW Board meetings and sharing materials and information; and by encouraging the Unit Club and individual member participation in all State and National projects;
2. to preside at all meetings of this Organization and the GCRW Executive Board and the GCRW Executive Committee;
3. to represent the Organization at all times or to designate a member of the GCRW Executive Committee as a representative in her absence or inability to do so;
4. to appoint all standing committee chairmen with the advice and consent of the Executive Committee.
5. to appoint special committee chairmen except the nominating committee with the advice and consent of the Executive Committee;
6. to appoint a parliamentarian and a chaplain;
7. to serve as ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee;
8. to sign checks in an emergency as approved by the Executive Board, upon the inability of the Treasurer to do so;
9. to ensure that a complete membership list of the Club is maintained and such list is for the exclusive use of the Club, the NCFRW and the NFRW as authorized under their respective bylaws;
10. required by the County Republican Party Plan of Organization, to serve as a member of the County Executive Board;
11. to approve expenditures not to exceed $100.00 between regularly scheduled Board of Directors meetings with a majority vote of the Executive Committee. These actions must be presented and approved at the next meeting of the Board of Directors.
B. The duties of the Vice President shall be:
1. to perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President;
2. to serve as Program Committee Chairman;
3. to perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
C. The duties of the Secretary shall be:
1. Keep accurate records of the regular meeting of this Organization and Executive Board and Executive Committee and to send draft of said minutes to the President within ten days of each meeting;
2. to perform such other duties as may be assigned to her by the President;
3. to keep attendance at all Executive and regular meetings.
D. The duties of the Treasurer shall be:
1. to be custodian of all funds of this Club;
2. to send notices of unpaid dues to members;
3. to disburse funds as directed by the GCRW Executive Board;
4. to present an annual budget for the approval of the GCRW Executive Board;
5. to surrender the books for an annual independent audit to be approved by the GCRW Executive Board;
6. to make written reports of receipts and disbursements for all meetings, and as directed by the President;
7. to be responsible for payment of Unit Club dues from the Organization’s funds to the NCFRW as stipulated in the NCFRW bylaws;
8. to file the necessary reports required by the NC State Board of Elections under the Campaign Reporting Law;
9. to maintain a complete membership list of the Unit Club and to place such list under irrevocable trust for the exclusive use of the unit, the NCFRW and the NFRW as authorized under their respective bylaws;
10. to obtain and maintain treasurer certification to the North Carolina Board of Elections.
Section 4. Resignation from Office
A. Should any President or Vice President file for election to public office involving a primary, advocate a split party ticket, or support a candidate running on an opposition party ticket, she must resign her office in the Organization.
Section 5. Vacancies
A. A vacancy in an elective office shall be filled by election by the GCRW Executive Board at the meeting following the vacancy. Notice of such vacancy shall be given to the members of the GCRW Executive Board with the notice of the meeting.
Section 6. Records
A. Each officer shall keep a portfolio of her duties and records which shall be passed on to her successor within thirty days of retirement from her position, unless otherwise directed by the President or the GCRW Executive Board.
Section 1. Regular
A. Regular meeting shall be held once a month at a time and place designated by the President with the advice of the GCRW Executive Board. Club members shall be notified by mail/email of the date, time and place of all meetings.
Section 2. Special
A. Special meetings of the membership may be called by the GCRW Executive Board or five regular members in good standing. The purpose of the meeting shall be stated in the call, with no other business to be transacted at the meeting. At least five days notice shall be given to all members for any special meeting.
Section 3. Quorum
A. All of the members present and voting shall constitute a quorum for all regular and special meetings, so long as there are no less than 10 members in attendance. There shall be no proxy voting.
EXECUTIVE BOARD and EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section 1. Executive Committee
Membership of the GCRW Executive Committee, shall be the elected officers and the immediate past President of this Organization provided the immediate Past President has not resigned or been asked to resign due to negligence in the fulfillment of her duties.
The duties of the GCRW Executive Committee shall be:
1. to approve the appointment of the standing committee chairman;
2. to approve the appointment of the special committee and their chairmen;
1. The GCRW Executive Committee may meet at some time prior to the regular meeting of the Organization. Notice of the date, time and place of the meeting shall be given to each member of the committee one week in advance of the meeting.
2. Special meetings may be called by the President or by three members of the GCRW Committee upon three days’ notice.
3. The Executive Committee may meet by phone or email to conduct business in between regular meetings of the Executive Board. Any actions taken must be reported to the Executive Board at their next regular meeting.
A majority of the membership of the GCRW Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum for all regular meetings of the Committee, so long as there are no less than three members in attendance.
Section 2. Executive Board
Membership of the GCRW Executive Board shall be the Executive Committee and the Standing Committee Chairmen.
The Duties of the GCRW Executive Board shall be:
1. to serve as the governing body of the Organization between regular meetings;
2. to fill election any vacancy occurring in an elective office at the next meeting following the vacancy.
1. The GCRW Executive Board shall meet at some time prior to the regular meeting of the Organization. Notice of the date, time and lace of the meeting shall be given to each member of the board one week in advance of the meeting.
2. Special meetings may be called by the President or by three members of the GCRW Executive Board upon three days notice.
3. The Executive Board may meet by phone or email to conduct business in between regular meetings of the Executive Board. Any actions taken must be reported to the Executive Board at their regular meeting.
A majority of the membership of the GCRW Executive Board shall constitute a quorum for all meetings of the Board, so long as there are no less than five members in attendance.
Section 1. Standing Committees
A. The standing committees of this Organization shall be; Bylaws, Campaign, Fundraising, Membership, Program, Public Relations, Legislation and Research, and Americanism. The chairmen of which shall be appointed by the President, except the Program Chairman, with the approval of the GCRW Executive Committee.
B. Standing committee chairmen shall be appointed for a term of one year.
C. Each standing committee shall develop and outline programs of action in its respective area of responsibility at the first meeting of the standing committee and shall present its program to the GCRW Executive Board and then to the general membership of the Organization at the meeting following development of the program.
D. The standing committees shall meet upon call of their respective chairman and shall make reports at any regular or special meeting of the Organization as requested by the President.
Section 2. Special Committees
A. The President may appoint special committees, with the approval of the GCRW Executive Committee, except the nominating committee, that are deemed necessary to carry out the work of the Organization and to perform specific assigned duties
B. Special committees shall serve for the length of time required to complete their work, provided such time is limited to the term of the appointing President.
Section 3. Records
All committees shall deliver all records, files, and properties of the Organization to their successors or to an officer designated by the President or the GCRW Executive Board within one month after retiring from office, unless otherwise by the President or the GCRW Executive Board.
Neither the Organization nor the elected officers of the Organization shall endorse a candidate prior to or during any race when there is more than one Republican candidate in the race.
The name of the Organization or the position held shall not be used by any officer or member in support of a candidate prior to or during any race when there is more than one Republican candidate in the race.
This Organization shall not advocate a split party ticket nor support a candidate running on an opposition ticket.
Political candidates, elected officials or party officials who are not Republicans, shall not be allowed to address the Organization or distribute political materials at GCRW meetings or events.
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Organization in all cases to which they are applicable and when they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws.
AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of those members present and voting, a quorum being present, at any regular meeting of the Organization, or a special meeting called for that purpose, provided that notice of the proposed changes has been given in writing to all members at least thirty days prior to the meeting. Any amendment adopted by the NFRW or the NCFRW affecting the work of this unit club shall become an amendment of the unit club without further notice.
DISSOLUTION OF ORGANIZATION
The Organization shall be considered dissolved by a motion presented to the membership and passed by a two thirds majority of those present and voting, provided there is a quorum of membership in attendance. All debts shall be paid and any other assets will be tendered according to the legal requisites for political affiliates and no assets personally benefit any member(s) of the Organization.
Signature of President Date
Signature of Secretary Date